Sunday, March 21, 2010

Falling Off the Wagon & Starting Fresh

So, starting this fresh look at life/10 resolution plan was exciting and easy at first. Telling people about it helped hold me accountable and I spent the first 2 weeks completely kicking butt. I had my first running experience (more about that later), started choosing healthier options, and even looked into signing up for my first triathlon. Who needs to start with a measly 5K? :)

Well on week 3 the major stress hit - and with that I fell off the wagon. I had my first major motion due in federal court and that took precedent over everything else. Then, once completed, I came down with the flu. Needless to say, the gym didn't happen that week and I was one cranky lady. I took it out on my family and became frustrated that "no one was helping me". It took a long conversation with my mom and some self-reflection to realize that I had unrealistic expectations of others. And, I was taking out my frustrations of my life on them.

But instead of beating myself up for failing most of my resolutions during week 3 - because it would be counter-productive - I have decided to be honest about falling off the wagon and move forward.

So what is the new plan? Continue focusing on myself, starting bringing all my food to school instead of eating out, and plan my workouts for the week. Also, take the time I need to center myself, instead of allowing life to frustrate me/stress me out. I went to the beach this week for a few hours and it felt like a mini-vacation. That is definitely something I will try to do more frequently.

And I will try to update here more. I can't wait to tell you about my first running experience (teaser: I fell off the treadmill), trying a spin class (teaser: I have bruises in not so great places), and how I am throwing out the idea of dieting and choosing to live a healthy lifestyle. Till then!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for getting back on the wagon! I have tons of portable snack ideas, some that we can bake together if you want :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wagon wouldn't be any fun without falling off sometimes. :) You are an inspiration my friend! And we still need a red wine and movie date...

    ReplyDelete