After a rather long day at work, I needed to blow off some steam and I thought it would be good to start my goal of learning how to run. Now, I had thrown my workout bag in my car in the morning, but had not really been awake when I was packing it. Therefore, I was definitely NOT surprised when I realized that I had forgotten not only socks [seriously?!?] but also a hair band [what was I thinking?!?!]. For those who know me, my hair is like mid-back length.
But I had made the plan to start running, and I was not going to let a little hair tie and silly socks stand in my way. I chose the treadmill completely in the corner so that I would be as inconspicuous as possible, put on my iPod to some hardcore rock, and started pounding away.
The plan I am following [Couch to 5k] starts off relatively easy... 5 minutes warm up, alternating 60 seconds running and 90 seconds walking for a total of 20 minutes, 5 minutes cool down. Easy enough, right? So I make it through the warm up, and even the first few running sections, unscathed. Not for long.
Whenever I start to push myself hard while working out, I tend to close my eyes to close out the rest of the world and get into my head. Its something I always do, and it has always helped me push myself to the next level, push out a few more reps, etc. So here comes running section number 3 - and I want to kick up my speed a notch and really work. (Up until this point I was surprised at how capable I was when it came time to run, and how quickly I wanted to get to the next running sections when I was forced to walk for 90 seconds.)
So I close my eyes... start pounding away... applaud myself at being a master at this running thing... wonder why I thought I was bad at this in the past... and then all of a sudden have a falling sensation. My iPod earphones were ripped from my ears, I screamed like I was being attacked, and I fell off of the back of the treadmill.
Operation Inconspicuous resulted in a resounding failure. Since I screamed prior to completing my fall, everyone in the gym had time to look my direction before my crash and burn.
Lesson learned. Keep your eyes open & hands on the rail. Duly noted. Treadmill 1:Montana 0.
However, I got my booty back on the treadmill and finished out the exercise... slightly winded, definitely spooked, kind of sore [I had forgotten to stretch] and completely elated at what I had accomplished. Never, ever had I completely 2 miles on a treadmill. Sure I had done a couple 5ks at a leisurely walking pace, but I normally give up after 30 seconds of running.
Treadmill 1:Montana 1.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I feel really bad for laughing out loud at this post. However, I am really proud of you for getting back up and finishing! (And starting in the first place! I would have gone straight home if I had no socks!) You definitely get a win for that. Technically, that's 2 wins, so you kicked that treadmill's butt!
ReplyDeleteWhen I used to run at 4AM before my commute to NYC I sometimes closed my eyes while running (to sleep). And I was outside, on the street, in the dark. Not a great idea. :)